Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use the Nurturing Families™?
Nurturing Families™ is cost effective, trauma informed, validated, family centered programs that have proven effectiveness in treating and preventing the recurrence of child abuse and neglect. Nurturing Families™ has been helping families learn new attitudes and skills designed to reduce family dysfunction.
Which program should I use?
Agencies should choose the program or curriculum depending on the needs of the families they serve. Caution should be taken in choosing the program or curriculum based on agency and staff needs. Choosing the right program for the right family makes all the difference in outcomes. There are programs for education-prevention called Primary Prevention, programs for prevention-low intervention called Secondary Prevention and programs for intervention-treatment called Tertiary Prevention.The biggest distinction can be seen in the number of sessions (dosage) and frequency of service delivery.
Do I need to purchase the implementation curriculum or program before the training ?
Yes, the Facilitator training has compentencies 1-3 included in the price with the option to purchase the entire curriculum after the Certified Facilitator Training.
To become a certified facilitator of the Nurturing Families Infant-19™ you must go through a facilitator training that is offered by a certified trainer recognized by Family Nurturing Center of Texas. The best implementation trainings are when the participants have the material with them at the training.
Is the Nurturing Families Infant-19™ evidenced-based?
Nurturing Families Infant-19™ is an evidenced–based program. Nurturing Families Infant-19™ is family-based and trauma informed in the focus of prevention, intervention and treatment of child abuse and neglect. The development was inspired by the Nurturing Program and the 33-year history of past evidence-based panel recognitions. The following are a few of the panels where the Nurturing Program has been listed and honored for the contribution to the field of child and family welfare.
National Registry of Programs and Practices (NREPP), the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Center for Substance Abuse (CSAP); the Department of Defense (DOD); the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP); National Head Start; and numerous other national and state department of protective services.
Currently we have many states writing the Nurturing Families™ into their 5 year State Families First Prevention Service plans.
Do I need training to implement the programs?
Training is necessary to ensure proper understanding and fidelity implementation of the Nurturing Families Infant-19™. The success of the programs depends on competent, qualified professionals understanding the implementation, goals and philosophy of the program. Trainings are posted on the website. Agencies can also host trainings through their agency by contacting the Family Nurturing Center of Texas. See our training calendar for more information.
How do I measure the effectiveness of the program?
Nurturing Families Infant-19™ has various tools to assess and evaluate the program. The Adult Adolescent Parenting Inventory gathers beliefs parents have about raising children in five individual constructs. We also have various documents to ensure process data is used to measure the progress the families are making and that competencies are being reached.
Is the Nurturing Families Infant-19™ easy to use?
Yes, when people attend the Faciltator training you are then attached to a Trainer who then takes responsibility to ensure your individual needs are met. After you have completed the facilitator training, purchased the appropriate curriculum and met all requirements to be a certified facilitator you will have access to your trainer. The programs are very structured. Each session has competencies to be reached and lessons to facilitate to reach goals set by the families. All lessons in every program and curriculum directly or indirectly are related to an AAPI construct. We have material for facilitators and for members of the family we are serving.
At the training you will be provided with competencies 1-3 with the opportunit to purchase the entire curriculum after the Certified Facilitator Training to implement the program with families.
What makes Nurturing Families™ unique or different from other parenting curriculum?
Some of our biggest differentiators are the following:
- A 33 year assessment tool is built into out model.
- Implementation can be for education-prevention called Primary Prevention, programs for prevention-low intervention called Secondary Prevention and programs for intervention-treatment called Tertiary Prevention. At the tertiary level Nurturing Families Infant-19™ is a maltreatment family education program. At the primary and secondary level it is possible no different than many parenting curriculums.
- We are family focused not child focused. We are here today and gone tomorrow in a child’s life. We work more directly with the adults in a family system. It is adults in the child’s everyday environment that make the biggest and longest difference on the child.
- We are competency based and we have lessons under competencies to help families reach the competency. Our tertiary program is a relationship based and our lessons are scaffolded, a beginning lesson is needed to attain family application and retention of a future lesson. Our content page does not do service to all of what is captured during the interaction between facilitators and families. The experiential nature of our interaction with families is what contributes to the progress families make in their continued experiences and interactions with others.
- We are research based at the level of our model and intervention. We are grounded on sound research, a sound value system and a sound philosophy for service provision.
- We take the approach that dosage and frequency of lessons absolutely matter as it pertains to changing attitudes and increasing knowledge in family and parent education services.
- We recognize that the families we work with are from different walks of life and from diverse and valuable cultures. We train facilitators to reframe from imposing their cultural values and parenting beliefs on others.
May I copy Nurturing Families Infant-19™ materials to share with others?
We are no different as program developers than any other. Our work and material are copyrighted and may not be reproduced in any manner, including sending documents or placing on the internet. Please help us preserve the integrity of the Nurturing Families philosophy and all it’s derived work.
Purchasing & Download Questions
Where can I purchase the Nurturing Families Infant-19™ ?
We are happy to say that Nurturing Families Infant-19™ is an e-document and you will receive it as soon as you purchase it! If you go to the “Training” on this website and click on “Purchase Curriculum” you will have the option to purchase the curriculum.
How many times can I download the curriculum?
Once. When processing your purchase of the Nurturing Families Ifant-19™ it is important that the download is made from on your laptop or desktop. There are two ways to access the download purchased. ONE – When processing the purchase you will have the option at the end to download or TWO – you can access the download from the email receipt that will be sent to the email entered during purchase.
What if I cannot open the download or it's blank?
During your purchase process of the NFI-19™ make sure you save it in a file that you will have easy access to. Go to the download file where you saved it on your laptop or desktop, and “open with” a web browser of your choice.(Chome, Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc.) This will depend on your computer system and/or technology departments.
What if I do not receive an purchase email confirmation with the link?
Like many automatic system email replies, there are firewalls and protections of systems. We have found that you will find the confirmation email in the SPAM file of your email system.
What if someone else is making the purchase for you?
When you have someone else making the purchase for you, please ensure that they enter your information and not theirs. Keep in mind that at the end of the purchase process there will be an option to open up the download. Ensure that they person making the purchase does NOT open the download as this will affect your ability to access the download.